Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Making the Switch (To All Natural)


Over the last few months, I've been more aware of the impact my lifestyle has on the planet. Recycling, producing less waste, eating local foods (when possible), etc. I even managed to cut down the amount of mail and catalogs I receive each month. 

Hardest of all, I've been switching from all my beauty products to natural, good-for-you,good-for-the-planet alternatives. For instance, using coconut oil in the place of expensive hair treatments and ineffective moisturizers, or apple cider vinegar to make my hair soft and manageable. And of course, I'm still a huge supporter of small businesses like For Sanity's Sake that make affordable, natural products (However, Meredith is off on vacation delivering a small child with her body. Check back with her shop in September!). Just today a friend of the family sent me a bunch of the homemade beauty products she makes and sells, such as Milk and Honey Shampoo & Conditioner. If she starts selling them online, I'll do reviews! 



The best thing I've noticed since I made the switch is how much more comfortable my skin feels. On the average day, my skin is red and dry and itchy and all kinds of awful. But not anymore! It feels soft and smooth, and hardly sensitive unless I do something different. Even my acne is starting to look better, which is a miracle quite frankly. 

Before you start complaining how much more expensive it is to buy natural products, let me correct you. The average bottle of body lotion from the drugstore costs $7, yes? If you go on amazon right now and check, you'll see that a 16 ounce jar of coconut oil is around $12. At first glance, it seems more expensive, until you consider this: a little goes a loooooooong way, and lasts nearly 3x as long as that lotion, plus it has a wealth of other uses. Now tell me which option is more cost effective. 

Do you use all natural products? Do you like them? If so, leave your recommendations in the comments!

Lainey

2 comments:

  1. I'm trying to add a bit of coconut oil to my hair (ends), but it's in the kitchen, so I often forget :-P

    Monica, www.pear-shaped-gal.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I've started keeping just a little in a smaller jar in the bathroom. That way I don't forget.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! Feel free to leave your thoughts on this post, ask a question, or just say hi.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...